Spectrum I Series
X12o / Special / Basic
Three different names for the same guitar!
First appeared in the August 1986 US pricelist as the Spectrum Special
Appears in the April and Sept 1987 US pricelists as the Spectrum I
Last appears in the Jan 1988 US pricelist, this time as the Spectrum Basic.
This model does not appear in the August 1988 UK pricelist. It may either have been discontinued or may not have been available in the UK.
Available in black or white.
We wouldn’t say the example on the left has been modified…more like “ruined”:
Only appears in the Jan 1988 US price list at $299
- H/S/S Magnaflux pickups
- oiled neck
- Kahler trem
- available in black or red
The WE1400 first appears in the 1989 ‘New Horizons’ catalogue, also appears in the 1990 catalogue.
Available in Black (WE1400BK) Red (WE1400RD) or White (WE1400WH) with Chrome hardware and black knobs
New prices (Oct 1989 US pricelist) were $350 for Black, Red, or White.
Two new finishes are listed – Crackle Red and Crackle Mist costing $375.
- body: (wood unknown)
- neck: satin Maple, beveled heel and top body scoop
- fingerboard: Rosewood flat radius
- 22 frets
- angled tilt back reverse headstock
- two single coil and one humbucker, covered ferrite pickups
- master volume and tone controls
- 5-way pickup switch
- coil tap switch (the coil tap switch is not mentioned in the 1990 catalogue but the guitars pictured there do have it)
- Bendmaster FT (Floyd Rose licensed) trem
- Cherry Sunburst (WE1400CS) or Fluorescent Orange (WE1400FLO)
update Jan 16’12:
Thanks to forum supporter Jezsica Kaine for these pictures of her WE1400CS (click to enlarge):